top of page


One of the most significant factors causing stress for parents/caregivers is managing family finances within a budget. It may quickly become very overwhelming. Some help is available and it is worth learning more to see if you or someone in your family is eligible.


Information about employment insurance and other benefits is available at the Government of Canada site.

Huron County residents may also be eligible for other financial support from the County Social Services department. Call 1 (519) 482-8505 or 1 (888) 371-5718 ext. 4501 or email


Tax filing is essential to ensure eligibility for benefits, rebates and subsidies. Rural Response for Healthy Children’s Parent Support team are also trained to help you access tax benefits suited to your family’s situation. Did you know there may be benefits from up to ten years ago that you haven’t claimed?

Every spring there are local tax clinics that will help prepare income tax statements. For the most up-to-date information, visit Ontario 211 or call 2-1-1 and ask for the location of your closest "Community Volunteer Income Tax Program".


Macleans Magazine provides a great article that summarizes the importance of saving for school and the approach for each age of child in your home.

The Canada Learning Bond (CLB) is money that the Government of Canada deposits directly into a child’s Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) account to help parents get a head start on saving for their child’s education after high school. is our favourite site to learn more about saving for your children’s education.

Kelsey's Story

Kelsey's Story

Play Video


In collaboration with Huron County Libraries we created the Dollar$ense collection for adults and Back Pack Kits for families (ages 3-9 and 9-teen). The Back Pack kits include age appropriate books, games, parent guides and a suggested movie list with important information and messages about how we think about and manage money. The books, kits and movies are available for borrowing through every branch, just ask for the Dollar$ense-Huron collection.


The Canada Child Benefit (CCB) is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under 18 years of age. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) uses information from your income tax and benefit return to calculate how much your CCB payments will be. To get the CCB, you have to file your return every year, even if you did not have income in the year. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they also have to file a return every year.

bottom of page